February 24, 2015

Bur Dubai: Textile Souk


Typically when I travel, I tend to stay away from places and experiences that I can get here in the United States. However, Dubai which is mainly known for its tall fancy building and luxurious lifestyle, offered very little of a unique experience. Also being an international/expatriate city, it was hard to get a true taste of the indigenous Arab culture.
However, a trip to the Textile Souk in Bur (old) Dubai provided a bit of the local culture I was yearning for. To get to the Textile souk, we had to get on an Abra boat ride (which only cost 1 dirham). The boat which had no railings offered no security whatsoever! Despite my safety concerns, I enjoyed the boat ride, and my buddy and I even made friends with one of the locals.
My time at the Textile Souk was awesome. The market was filled with so many gorgeous fabrics (definitely a fashionista’s haven). Haggling with the traders reminded me so much of the markets back in my hometown of Lagos. After strolling down hallways of the sand-colored buildings, and copping a few items, we called it a day and headed back to the glamorous parts of Dubai.
Below are pictures, I hope you enjoy them.

Ankara Pants& Bangle by Chic Therapy| Tee:Old Navy|Sandals:Target
An Abra boat (Water taxi)
Our boat driver was such a sport
Our new friend

Hello new friend

It was such a beautiful day in Dubai

Checking out the traditional beaded flats
Coconut drink for a beautiful day
We checked out some spices, and the chicken masala spice smelled so gooood!

So many Jalabiyas to choose from

How gorgeous are these throw pillows

Should I get this pink? (I ended up with the blue one in this post)

This shop attendant was a riot! We had so much fun in his shop--good times!

                    That's all folks. Have a great week!

20 comments:

  1. aww and i like the pink of it. You sure had fun
    fashionitazbybuiti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures....love the beaded shoes!
    www.kindtococo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, Ha! what I would give for those freshly ground spices right now :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures, you look good dear and good to see you had a nice time. I love jalabiyas and the one you picked looked stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dubai is definitely on my places to visit list! Thanks for sharing!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a great time in Dubai and wow those fabrics are so gorgeous and I might I had, you look so flawless. Your makeup is really pretty and you look stunning.

    http://www.foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insanely jealous! Loved all of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like such a fun vacation! Same here, I try to stay away from the city whenever I visit a new place. Your photos made me want to go on a vacation... soon!

    Found you in one of the fashion blogs I frequent and thought I'd give you a visit. I'm checking you out on social media, would you like to follow each other? Let me know if that is something that is of interest to you :)

    xo,
    Abby
    http://www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just recently visited Dubai and had a blast, had no idea about this place. Love this pink abaya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im on a mad travel envy right now. Your pictures are not helping...just kidding. I plan to visiting Dubai one day, I just won't do it anytime soon. I have a whole list to go through lol.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are really lovely throw pillows. Love the pink dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wow that boat lol
    I'd love to visit this market!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to visit Dubai one day! The pillows are beautiful & the blue dress that you ended up choosing is stunning!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pictures! I'll love to visit DubaĂ¯. Kiss.

    wilfriiiied.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely pictures; I love your casual chic outfit especially the tee.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning photos, I need to visit Dubai! Xxx all those throw pillows looked so beautiful and the whole experience seems wonderful, lovely post as always :) Check out my new blog post! I'm in need of some followers, thank you! X http://xbeyoutifulx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. The view, the colors, the water! I need a vaction already! I'm glad you had so much fun bebe



    The Cocopolitan

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a side of Dubai we don't see often in pictures. Love it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. omg that boat looks so scary! but it also looks like it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete